So I had a little mishap with the baby jacket I am making. The back flew off the needles without a problem. As I was casting off the shoulder seam I thought it had a little bit different of a shape that what I had seen before, but that wasn’t the problem. The problem came when I was working on the front pieces.
So I am working up one of the front pieces and the first part goes without a hitch, then I get to the shaping, it starts by saying cast off XX number of stitches on the next row and then decrease on the neck edge one stitch every row for XX number of rows. Okay that sounds simple enough. So I cast off the stitches and on the next row started the decrease on the opposite side from the first cast off. I did the funky thing with the shoulder cast off and, Walla finish piece. Then I did the other piece. Same thing when I got up near the top for the shaping, cast off XX number of stitches and then decrease one stitch every row for XX number of rows, shoulder cast off and another finished piece. Wooo Hooo, or so I thought.
Then I didn’t work on the sweater for about a week, I had way too many other projects to finish. Anyway, this past weekend I was determined to finish this sweater so I could give it to the new baby it was intended for. I start lining up the pieces to seam them up, and the right front didn’t line up with the shoulder correctly. So I start to think that I might have to rip it back and fix it, then I think no, it will be worn by a baby who won’t know if they shoulder isn’t exactly right, and I decided to start seeming it up and make it work the way it was.
The pattern called for me to start by seaming up the shoulders, but since the shoulders didn’t line up just right I thought I would leave that for last and figure out how I was going to swing it as I got most of the pieces together. I seamed up the right seam and then the left seam and then started in on the hood, when I realized, where are the little arms going to go, the only holes left were the shoulder seams, and once they were seamed up, no arm holes. Okay, so I had a feeling the mommy wasn’t going to go for the whole removing of lims so the sweater fit so I had to figure out what I did wrong.
I looked back at the pattern and read it over and over again, but kept coming up with the same thing. I did EXACTLY what the pattern told me to do, well almost. My mistake was thinking that the XX number of cast offs on the first row was for the arm hole shaping. The one thing I missed was the section heading: NECK shaping. My first clue that something wasn’t quite right was the fact that I cast off 6 stitches on the right panel and 9 stitches on the left panel. This obviously wasn’t for arm hole shaping, which by the way, I found out that most baby sweaters don’t have armhole shaping. Now you tell me.
I ended up having to frog back to the "Arm Hole" shaping of each front piece and re-knit them. Oh and by the way, the pattern wasn’t written very clearly either, which is probably why I ran amuck to begin with. The pattern directions were given for both a boy and a girl sweater, which for some crazy insane reason are different. WHY OH WHY is this the case. The baby isn’t going to button their sweater so what difference does it really make what side the buttons are one, and for that matter can some one tell me why men’s clothes are buttoned different than women’s. It just seems nutty to me.
Anyway, after reading the pattern over and over again, and realizing that the mistake wasn’t all my fault, I finally got the pieces knitted correctly and the jacket is all seamed up now. I am working on a cute little picot trim, which by the way isn’t called for in the pattern, but I wanted it to look cuter than the original design. I am now trying to decide if I want to add buttons or leave it open. If I add buttons I would have to frog part of the trim to put in a buttonhole band, but that wouldn’t be all that bad based on what I have already been through with this sweater.
It was definitely a learning experience.
I hope to have pictures post this weekend of the finished sweater along with the cute little baby socks that I made to match.